International Studies recruiting for committee and Danish exchange program
Southwest's International Studies (IS) Department is currently seeking members for the 2019-2020 International Studies Committee. Members meet monthly with IS staff to discuss strategies for various programs like the Study Aboard Program and plan special events.
Southwest faculty and staff are encouraged to join the team. If you are interested in becoming a member of the committee, contact department coordinator Jessica Miller at email@example.com or 901-333-4087, or administrative assistant Maggie Agnew at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-333-4087.
Danish Exchange Program
The IS Department will hold its Danish Exchange Program in fall, Sept. 27 – Oct. 5. The program hosts 24 Danish business students from Odense, Denmark, providing them with local and cultural opportunities to connect to Memphis through visits to museums and special attractions, tours of businesses and non-profits, and attendance at events featuring guest speakers. Past examples of these activities include visits to My Cup of Tea, the National Civil Rights Museum, the Memphis Zoo, and AutoZone, and speakers from organizations such as the New Memphis Institute, Muddy's Bakery, and Shelby County Circuit Court. In addition to these activities, students will experience American college life with visits to Southwest classes and social engagements with Southwest students.
The IS department is in urgent need of families or individuals from Southwest to host the Danish students during their stay in Memphis. Families may host 1-4 students during the exchange. The students can sleep on couches or in spare bedrooms, just as long as they have a space for themselves and their luggage. Other requirements include:
- Provide breakfast and dinner for the student(s)
- Pick-up of the student(s) from the airport on the day of their arrival (September 27)
- Daily drop-off of the student(s) at Southwest’s Macon Cove Campus between 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. (dependent upon program schedule) and pick-up between 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. during the week of September 30 (9/30 - 10/4); accommodations can be made for drop-off/pick-up if necessary
- Provide a safe, open-minded, and comfortable space for the student(s) during their stay
- Integrate the student(s) into family life by encouraging conversations with them, helping them to feel welcome
- Attend the host family orientation dinner prior to receiving the student(s)
Families may attend some events with their students depending upon availability and personal schedules. Attendance at program-wide events such as farewell parties are encouraged.
If you are interested in participating as a Host Family or have any questions about the program requirements, contact the department coordinator Jessica Miller at email@example.com or 901-333-4087 or administrative assistant Maggie Agnew at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-333-4087.