Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions concerning admissions are listed below. If you still need assistance, contact Admissions and Records.

Can my school fax my transcript?

No. In order for Southwest to accept them as official documents, the transcripts must be mailed or sent to us electronically. However, if you hand delivered your high school transcript in a sealed envelope, it will be considered official if the envelope is still sealed.

Why do I have to submit a High School transcript or GED transcript when I have already attended college?

Every school is required to have copies of certain documents on file. We are verifying that you graduated from high school or that you passed the GED test and these documents become part of your official record here at Southwest.

How do I apply for admissions?

Select the "Apply Now" button located in the top right hand corner of any page in the Southwest website to view information related to admissions. Remember to choose the type of student that best fits you from the admissions checklist. You can also apply by completing our ONLINE APPLICATION (opens new window).

Can I get academic credit removed from my transcript?

No, once the credit becomes a part of your academic record at Southwest, it cannot be removed.

I am a first time student and I want to submit my admissions documents can you tell me what they are?

New students are required to submit an official high school or GED, or HiSET® transcript, test scores (ACT® or SAT®), shot records with proof of having received two doses of MMR and/or Varicella vaccinations, Hepatitis B wavier form and complete new student orientation.

Why do returning students, who have not attended in a year, have to complete a readmissions application?

You need to complete the application so that any changes that have occurred since you last attended can be updated. Examples of these changes are name, address, and attendance at other colleges. The application usually takes five (5) to seven (7) days to process.

I received an email asking me to call Admissions and Records concerning my admission status what do I need?

You may call Admissions and Records at 901-333-5000 and you will be given the option to check your record by phone or speak with a customer service representative concerning your record.

Why do I need to turn in college transcripts?

The transcript from your prior college will be evaluated to determine whether you need to retake classes or whether you have met the prerequisite(s) for the course(s) you are interested in registering for.

Do you have to have a certain GPA to attend Southwest?

No, Southwest has an open door policy; the ACT® will determine which classes you are eligible to enroll in. If you attended another college, your transcript will be evaluated to determine which classes can be transferred.

[back to top]