2016 Alumnus of the Year
The 2016 Alumnus of the Year is Pamela L. Finnie. Raised in a single parent home with six siblings by a mother who set standards and goals that were attainable, Finnie is a native and life-long Memphian.
Finnie received her nursing degree from Southwest (former Shelby State Community College) and then went on to pursue her Bachelor's degree in Nursing from Union University, and a Masters in Nursing Education from the University of Memphis.
Finnie's nursing career has spanned virtually every aspect of the field including time spent at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as a clinical research associate RN-II. But it is at Regional One Health (formerly Regional Medical Center) where she has had the greatest impact on her community. While she began her career in high risk labor and delivery, it is the trauma intensive care unit where she has worked in some capacity for more than 12 years that has been her labor of love.
Currently, Finnie serves as the outreach coordinator for the trauma intensive care unit and firefighter's burn center. She is also the manager of the trauma program where she is responsible for the organization of services and systems necessary for the care of the trauma patient.
In 2012 Finnie and her husband began the SSG Daniel Dewayne Merriweather scholarship fund in memory of their son after he was killed in Afghanistan January 10, 2010. SSG Merriweather joined the U.S. Army in 2002 right out of high school and served three tours overseas. The scholarship is given to a nursing school student to assist with costs to successfully complete the program.
An active member of Miracle Temple Ministries who serves in the capacity of youth director, Finnie is the proud wife of Darryl Finnie, the mother of a podiatrist, an American hero and upcoming college junior. Finnie is also the grandmother of six grandsons and one granddaughter.
See what your fellow Alumni are up to:
- Nekia Slater - Graduated in 2012 in Business Administration, employed as a Material Handler for FedEx Express
- Rochelle Crawford-Hurt - Graduated in 2007 in Microcomputer Management, currently at Christian Brothers University
- Danielle Taylor - Graduated in 2007 in Emergency Medical Technician, CEO of So Fyh Enterprises has written a book "A Heart of Reign" under the pen name Ornitha Danielle
- Michelle Waddell - Graduated in 2007 in Graphic Design and Layout, employed with a marketing and advertising firm
- Jonathan Howse - Graduated in 2006 in Electrical Engineering Technology, employed as a Project Manager for GE Healthcare
- Michael R. Carpenter - Graduated in 2004 with an A.A.S. in Paralegal Studies, currently working in Texas as regional sales manager at the IT firm Avnet, Inc and was recently elected Mayor of Schertz, Texas
- Seth M. Rolfe - Graduated in 2002 in Hospitality Management, employed as General Manager at the Hilton Little Rock
- Nancy Matthews - Graduated in 1997 in Office Systems Technology, employed with The University of Memphis
- Grace Bond - Graduated in 1993 with an AAS in Paralegal Studies, employed as the lead paralegal with the Shelby County Attorney's Office
- Chef Steven G. Leake - Graduated in 1988 with an Associate of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management, currently at Southwest as a full-time culinary instructor/program coordinator and 2014 Alumnus of the Year
- Darrell K. Thomas - Graduated in 1986 in Biomedical Engineering Technology [State Technical Institute of Memphis], owner of Thomas Consultants, Inc. and 2013 Alumnus of the Year
- Dr. Linda Fay Chism - Graduated in degree in 1978 with a degree in Nursing [Shelby State Community College], currently employed at Regional One Health and 2015 Alumnus of the Year
The Alumni Association is proud to announce its now on LinkedIn, the professional networking site. Join us and network with other Southwest graduates. To join, just go on to your LinkedIn site and click on groups. This is a great place to find out what other graduates are up to and build your own professional networks. The Association is also building another social media site just for Alums to connect.