2013 Alumnus of the Year
Darrell K. Thomas, 1986 graduate and owner of Thomas Consultants, Inc., was recently chosen as 2013 Alumnus of the Year. A self-starter and a born entrepreneur, Thomas earned his biomedical engineering technology degree from Southwest (formerly State Technical Institute of Memphis) in 1986 and immediately formed Thomas Consultants, Inc. all the while pursuing his bachelor’s degree from Christian Brother’s University. While Thomas Consultants, Inc. initially provided turnkey systems for medical and dental offices, they branched into the government and corporate sector and are now seen as a leading national provider of information technology and communication solutions. For his efforts, Thomas Consultants, Inc. was chosen as the 2009 Minority Business of the Year.
Thomas is exceptionally community minded serving on numerous boards including the Baron Heights Community Development Corporation, where he was a founding director, the South Central Conference of Seventh Day Adventist, the MemphisFirst Community Bank, where he was a founding director, and the Regional Medical Center. He is also a member of the Memphis Area Chamber of Commerce, the Downtown Rotary Club, and has served a Juvenile Court Volunteer Probation Officer for more than 12 years. This Breath of Life Church Board Elder and Treasurer also is a Leadership Memphis graduate and is a member of the Southwest Tennessee Community College Foundation Board where he has established an endowed scholarship to aid students with their tuition.
- Grace Bond—Graduated in 1993 with an AAS in Paralegal Studies, employed as the lead paralegal with the Shelby County Attorney’s Office
- Nancy Matthews-- Graduated in 1997 in Office Systems Technology, employed with The University of Memphis
- Seth M. Rolfe-- Graduated in 2002 in Hospitality Management, employed as General Manager at the Hilton Little Rock
- Michael R. Carpenter-- Graduated in 2004 with an A.A.S. in Paralegal Studies, currently working in Texas as regional sales manager at the IT firm Avnet, Inc and was recently elected Mayor of Schertz, Texas
- Jonathan Howse-- Graduated in 2006 in Electrical Engineering Technology, employed as a Project Manager for GE Healthcare
- Rochelle Crawford-Hurt-- Graduated in 2007 in Microcomputer Management, currently at Christian Brothers University
- Danielle Taylor—Graduated in 2007 in Emergency Medical Technician, CEO of So Fyh Enterprises has written a book “A Heart of Reign” under the pen name Ornitha Danielle
- Michelle Waddell--Graduated in 2007 in Graphic Design and Layout, employed with a marketing and advertising firm
- Nekia Slater-- Graduated in 2012 in Business Administration, employed as a Material Handler for FedEx Express
The Alumni Association is proud to announce its now on LinkedIn, the professional networking site. Join us and network with other Southwest Tennessee Community College graduates. To join, just go on to your LinkedIn site and click on groups. This is a great place to find out what other graduates are up to and build your own professional networks. The Association is also building another social media site just for Alums to connect.