Summer Bridge Program
July 8-26, 2013
8 a.m.-1 p.m. weekdays
737 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38103
"Your problem is to bridge the gap which exists between where you are now and the goal you intend to achieve." ~ Earl Nightingale
Southwest wants to be your bridge to help you make it from Basic to Developmental and from Developmental to College-Level courses. Will you allow Southwest Tennessee Community College to help you "bridge the gap which exists between where you are now and the goal you intend to achieve?"
What is the Summer Bridge Program?
The Summer Bridge Program is a three-week program that serves as an introduction to college for high school graduates who plan to attend Southwest this fall. This three-week instructional support program (held in a computer laboratory setting) prepares selected incoming students whose ACT or COMPASS scores indicate a need for remediation in reading, writing, and/or math.
What is the main goal of the Summer Bridge Program?
The main goal of the program is to provide an opportunity for students to obtain the skills needed to retest and improve placement. In other words, the intent is to help students make it across the bridge from Basic to Developmental or from Developmental to College-Level, determined by the initial placement. Students who initially place in basic courses and who successfully complete the program will be eligible to enroll in developmental courses (Learning Support) in the fall. Students who initially place in developmental courses and who successfully complete the program will be able to enroll in college-level courses in the fall.
Where and when are Summer Bridge Program sessions scheduled?
The Summer Bridge Program is a three-week program, and all sessions are scheduled (Monday through Friday) at the Union Avenue Campus. The sessions will begin on Monday, July 8 and end on Friday, July 26; these sessions are from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays.
How are students selected for the Summer Bridge Program?
Because of limited seating, all students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- Be a high school graduate.
- Have an ACT or COMPAS score on file at Southwest with the following placement indicators:
- ACT English Score of 12, 16, or 17
- ACT Math Score of 12, 17, or 18
- ACT Reading Score of 12, 17, 18
- Commit to the entire three-week program.
- Agree to attend on time from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher, principal, guidance counselor, mentor, pastor, or other community leader.
- Complete the college online admissions application and a Summer Bridge Program application:
What are the benefits of the Summer Bridge Program?
- Attend without cost; lunch is provided
- Provide an opportunity to retest and improve placement
- Enhance (individualized assistance) reading, writing, and/or mathematics skill levels in a computer setting with tutors and instructors
- Increase your readiness for attending Southwest this fall
- Enhance group and social skills
- Meet and greet other students, staff, faculty, college administrators, and other community leaders
For additional information call 901-333-4145 or email the Summer Bridge Program.