Student Development: Cheerleader Application
Southwest considers it's cheerleaders to be elite representatives and ambassadors of the respective student body. The expectations for our cheerleaders and cheerleading program are consistent with the goals of our student athletes, to grow and mature emotionally, physically, and academically in a way that we may have a positive and motivating impact on the future success of each individual professionally and socially.
The primary role of a cheerleader is, first and foremost, to provide and promote spirit and enthusiasm in support of Southwest and it's basketball teams. Equally important is our role to represent Southwest in a way that is reputable and representative of the college and its reputation. Ultimately, we are actively searching for diverse and outstanding student athletes with equally high standards and goals to serve as Southwest cheerleaders.
To be eligible for candidacy, the student must meet the following criteria:
- a cumulative GPA of 2.0 from either High School or College
- currently enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours at the time of tryouts; must maintain at least six (6) hours during the semester
- must tryout
- must be in good standing with the college at all times
- all cheerleaders can only serve a maximum of two (2) academic years
- Basic tumbling skills
- At least two (2) years of cheerleading/dance or majorette experience
- Knowledge of basic cheerleading terminology
- A positive attitude
- Ladies: t-shirt or aerobics tank top, shorts dance pants, sports-bra, socks, gym shoes
- Gentleman: t-shirt, shorts or workout pants, socks, gym shoes
- All fitness attire must be tasteful
If you are interested in becoming a Southwest cheerleader complete the form shown below. If you have any questions contact Student Development at 901-333-5380 or by email at email@example.com.