International Student Orientation
Mark your calendars: the International Student Orientation, which will include English as a Second Language (ESL) placement and advising for the fall 2013 semester, has been scheduled.
All students interested in taking ESL courses and all new students attending Southwest on a student visa should attend.
Macon Cove Campus
- When: Thursday, August 15
- Time: 9 a.m.
- Where: Academic Building, Wing C, Room 195 (Presentation Theater)
Orientation begins at 9 a.m. with advising and placement following oriention. Students will be tested and placed in an appropriate ESL course. Additionally, students will be advised on other courses to take for the semester.
Southwest offers three ESL courses designed for the non-native speaker of English in spoken and written English. The courses are based on competency levels:
- ENGL 1001-English as Second Language I (little or no competency)
- ENGL 1002-English as Second Language II (novice high-to-intermediate level of competency)
- ENGL 1003-English as Second Language III (mid-intermediate to advanced level of competency)
All ESL courses focus on reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. During the fall and spring semesters, an ESL section is offered for ENGL 1010 (English Composition I).
Important Southwest dates:
- Semester Term: August 24-December 5, 2013
- Exams: December 6-12, 2013
- Academic Year 2013-2014 Calendar: Fall 2013 semester
For more information, contact Linda Patterson, ESL coordinator, at 901-333-4497.