Disability Awareness Month - Student Disability Services
Week 1: Macon Cove and Union Avenue Campuses
April 6: Wheelchair Day – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Student volunteers will navigate campuses, including classes and all social areas, in a wheelchair.
April 6: Breakfast and Panel Discussion: Beyond College: Supporting People with Disabilities (Macon Cove Campus); 9-10 a.m., Bornblum Art Gallery
- Muffins and coffee will be served
- Panelists from MCIL, TN Vocational Rehab, The Arc Mid-South
- Target audience: Social/Behavioral Sciences students
- Broadcasted simultaneously to students at the Macon Cove Campus (Parrish Art Gallery), Union Avenue Campus (B-106), the Maxine A. Smith Center (Room 220), and the Whitehaven Center (Multipurpose Room).
Week 2: Maxine A. Smith Center
April 11: Disability Trivia – Room 101 – 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Pizza and soda will be served
- Winner will receive a prize
Week 3: Whitehaven Center
April 19: “A Day in the Life” Disability Simulations – Conference Room, W101B – 9-10 a.m.
- Doughnuts and juice will be served
- Raffle for participants
Week 4: Union Avenue Campus
April 20: Luncheon and Presentation: Autism: The Fastest Growing Developmental Disability and What it Means for Colleges – M Building Auditorium, Noon to 1 p.m.
- Featured presentation: Umeika Hankton, Psychologist, University of Memphis
- Sandwiches, chips and sodas will be served
- Faculty appreciation: Certificates will be presented to those faculty members noted for their support of students and people with disabilities.