For Immediate Release
Date: June 8, 2009
For More Information: Keith Gentry, (901) 333-4114
Southwest Baseball Signs Eleven to National Letters of Intent
The Southwest baseball program has signed eleven student-athletes to national letters of intent, Head Coach Bo Reynolds announced today.
The Saluqis signed Daniel Billingsley, a pitcher/infielder from Brighton; Sam Braswell, an outfielder from Bartlett; Marcus Burk, an infielder from Bartlett; Chance Chandler, an infielder from Brighton; Nick Cook, an infielder from Lewisburg High School in Olive Branch, Misssissippi; Blake Dixon, an infielder from Munford; Caleb Flexsenhar, a catcher from Christian Brothers High School (CBHS); Zach Glidewell, an infielder from Munford; Alonzo Powell, an outfielder from Cordova; Bradley White, a catcher/infielder from Munford; and Casey Willer, an infielder from Collierville.
- Brighton High’s Billingsley and Chandler led their team to a 19-9 record and the District 13AAA championship. Both were also named to the All-District 13AAA and All-District 13AAA tournament teams with Billingsley also garnering tournament MVP honors. They were coached by Brian Oswalt.
- Dixon, Glidewell, and White were coached by former Saluqi infielder Steve Ledford at Munford High. Glidewell and White were named to the All-District 13AAA and All-Tournament teams. Dixon was an All-Tournament selection. The trio led Munford to a 20-11 record and runner-up in District 13AAA this spring.
- Cook was also coached by a former Saluqi player, Rusty Cagle, at Lewisburg High. Cook, a second baseman, led Lewisburg to a 23-7 record and the second round of the Mississippi High School Athletic Association Class 3A Playoffs as a senior.
- Braswell and Burk helped lead Bartlett High to the District 14AAA and Region 7AAA championships, a 32-11 record, and the semifinals of the Class AAA state tournament. They were coached at Bartlett by Phil Clark.
- Flexsenhar was a catcher on CBHS’ 33-10 team that was the Division 2AA West Region runner-up and finished fourth in the Division 2AA state tournament. He played for Coach Buster Kelso at CBHS.
- Willer started at third base on Coach Jeff Hopkins’ Collierville High’s 34-11 team that won the Region 8AAA championship and advanced to the semifinals of the Class AAA state tournament.
- Powell, a two-time All-District 14AAA selection, led Cordova High to a 22-10 record and the Memphis Interscholastic Athletic Association Class AAA city championship. He was coached at Cordova by Jody Patrick.