Off Campus Library Services
Access to a majority of our resources is available 24/7 to students, faculty and staff. You will be prompted to enter a Southwest username and password for access.
The College ID is required to borrow library materials. There are three methods to renew checked out items remotely:
- Use the online renewal
- Renew via the online catalog
- Telephone one of our locations and speak to a staff member during operating hours.
Your college ID number will be requested.
The Databases Links and Multimedia page can be used to locate full-text articles, practice exams, tutorials, streaming media and e-books for your research needs.
S.O.A.R. (Southwest Online Academic Resources) is our Discovery service to search across multiple databases in a single search platform.
When using Internet sources, don’t forget Evaluating Websites for credibility, authenticity and accuracy.
Books can be transferred from one location to another. Use the online catalog to search and request the resource.
There are several ways to Ask a Librarian (opens in a new window) for assistance
- Request a Research Coach – if you need help locating information or to schedule an in-person or telephone session.
- Ref Chatter - Chat with us online.
- Text – send a text to 901-310-3889.
- Give us a call
- Embedded Librarians are available to answer questions in all the online courses offered at Southwest
- Chat with us on Facebook
- Email us
Interlibrary Loan is a free service offered to library users, but charges may apply from the lending agency. There is a limit of five (5) requests per week; requests are processed in the order received. Please allow 2-4 weeks for a reply. Choose the type of request that is needed
Warning Concerning Copyright Restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
We maintain Borrowing Agreements with area colleges that may be closer to your home.
Students, faculty and staff in good standing have borrowing/use privileges at the libraries below:
- (A) Baptist College Health Sciences
- (A) Christian Brothers University
- (B) and (D) Harding School of Theology
- (D) Memphis College of Arts
- (A) Memphis Theological Seminary
- (A) Lemoyne-Owen College
- (A) and (D) Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary
- (A) Rhodes College
- (B) Southern College of Optometry
- (A) University of Memphis
- (D) University of Memphis - Cecil C Humphreys School of Law
- (B) University of Tennessee Health Sciences
These categories of participation indicates who will be able to borrow materials from the participating libraries listed
Category A: The library will loan directly to any faculty/staff member, graduate student, undergraduate student, etc. of a participating institution.
Category B: The library will loan directly to graduate students or faculty/staff members only of participating institutions.
Category C: The library will loan directly only to faculty/staff members of participating institutions.
Category D: The library will admit faculty/staff members, graduate students, and undergraduate students from participating libraries to use library collections in-house.
Tennessee Academic Library Collaborative (TALC)
Universal Borrower’s Card allows check out at participating libraries of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee and the University of Tennessee System in accordance with the lending library’s local policy.