Foundation Scholarship and Criteria
As scholarships are dependent upon availability of funds, not all scholarships can be awarded every year.
A completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application is the basis for all types of financial aid awarded at Southwest, even scholarships, so go online to apply even if you do not believe that you are eligible for grant programs.
Metropolitan Memphis Hotel Lodging Association Scholarship
Four $1000 scholarships will be awarded to the top four candidates.
- Enrolled at Southwest at the time of the scholarship presentation with a status of "Good Standing."
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.*
- Have completed at least one grading year of college or post-secondary program.
- Worked, currently working, or actively seeking employment in the hospitality industry.
- Hospitality Management majors with a declared concentration in Hotel.
- Applicant must have received a high school diploma or a GED to be eligible.
- In 500 words or less (essay one), describe your personal background including answers to the following questions:
- When did you become interested in the hospitality field?
- What traits do you think you possess or you will need in order to succeed in this industry?
- What are your plans as they relate to your educational and career objectives and future goals in the hospitality industry?
- In 250 words or less (essay two), describe all campus, community, and professional activities in which you have participated.
- Describe any other financial aid you have been awarded or anticipate being awarded for the remainder of this year.
The nomination (application) form (PDF) [Size: 21 KB], requires Adobe Reader, and two essays must be completed by the student in the program and returned by March 31 to the Foundation Office (Macon Cove Campus, Farris Building, Room 3002). All nominations are judged by the Southwest Tennessee Community College faculty. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
Scholarship recipients and non-recipients will be notified by the second week in April. Scholarship recipients will receive instructions on how to claim their scholarships. Scholarships will be awarded at the Stars of the Industry Luncheon. The Luncheon will be held in mid-April at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, Tennessee.