Foundation Scholarship and Criteria
As scholarships are dependent upon availability of funds, not all scholarships can be awarded every year.
A completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application is the basis for all types of financial aid awarded at Southwest, even scholarships, so go online to apply even if you do not believe that you are eligible for grant programs.
Walter K. Singleton U.S.M.C. Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Scholarship or Scholarships is/are available for full tuition/fees for the academic year. Students enrolled full or part-time are eligible to apply. Scholarship(s) is/are renewable for the second academic year, provided scholarship criteria are maintained.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are active duty Marine or active Reserve Marine within the first three years of discharge from service. Immediate family members of active duty Marines and active Reserve Marines are also encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be a resident of Tennessee. Fayette and Shelby county residents will be given preference.
- Full or part-time degree seeking student.
- Applicants must have a 2.5 high school or college GPA. Scholarship is renewable, provided good standing is maintained.
- Financial aid recipients are acceptable.
- Student may be a returning student or entering freshman.
- Applicant must have received a high school diploma or a GED to be eligible.
Submit application to the Southwest Tennessee Community College Financial Aid Office by March 15.
If applicants number less than 10 (ten) then all applications will be forwarded to the Walter K. Singleton U.S.M.C. Memorial Endowed Scholarship Committee for final selection. If applicants number greater than 10 (ten) Southwest Tennessee Community College Scholarship Committee will narrow the field of applicants to 10 (ten), whose applications are forwarded to the Walter K. Singleton U.S.M.C. Memorial Endowed Scholarship Committee for final selection.