Tennessee Small Business Development Center to host SBDC Day
The Tennessee Small Business Development Center will celebrate SBDC (Small Business Development Center) Day, 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m., March 20 at the Whitehaven Center.
Aspiring and emerging small business owners and students interested in starting their own business are invited to attend the free event to learn more about the free resources offered by SBDCs.
SBDC Day is a national, collective proclamation of the impact of America’s Small Business Development Centers on the success of our nation’s dreamers, innovators, and doers – America’s small businesses. TSBDC is located at Southwest and has provided free small business assistance to tens of thousands of individuals starting and growing small businesses in Shelby County since 2004.
TSDBC Executive Director Rory Thomas said this year’s event will have a special focus on women business owners. The latest U.S. Census Survey of Business Owners showed Memphis leads the nation’s largest cities in female-owned business growth. “We want to use this SBDC Day to highlight our women-owned business successes and truly inform the community that free help is available to help you achieve your small business goals,” he added.
TSBDC will facilitate a panel discussion and present its annual “Rising Star Award” to Kelsey Loebel, owner of Miss Muff’n by Confections and Connections. At age 26, Kelsey has become one of the most successful young entrepreneurs in Tennessee and she donates 10 percent of her profits to local non-profit agencies.
- LaTanya Channel, Tennessee District Director, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Brandy Bonner Aden, President, A & B Construction Company, a leading commercial and industrial general contractor in Tennessee
- Rose Conway, Owner, Nautilus Pottery, a national manufacturer of handcrafted pottery and essential oil diffusers
- Summer Owens, Owner, S.O.What!, national author, speaker, success coach and university professor
- Nubian Simmons, Owner, The Pink Bakery, Tennessee’s First Big 8 Allergen Free Bakery)