Student Success @ Southwest: E-Weekly - June 24, 2019
Southwest Tennessee Community College wants you to succeed in all your classes, extracurricular activities and work life. Below are some timely announcements from Retention & Student Success @ Southwest! If you have any burning questions and haven't found the answers, let us know at email@example.com!
Your Week in Brief… June 24, 2019
- TN Reconnect Students, Are You Ready for Fall?
- Veterans Affairs Certification is NOW ONLINE
- Scholarships for VA Students
- Advocate for You! Student Disabilities Services and Professional Development Opportunity
- Career Services
- Student Success Workshops
- Need a Chromebook?
- Attention TN Promise Students: Service Hours Requirement!
TN Reconnect Students, Are You Ready for Fall?
Reconnectors, make sure you are ready for the Fall by completing the following steps:
- Complete the 2019-2020 FAFSA
- TN Reconnect 2019-2020
• Log in to the TSAC Student Portal
• Click on the “Apply” tab at the top left.
• Scroll down and click on
Tennessee Reconnect Scholarship Application 2019-2020.
- Visit the Advising website to register for a minimum of 6 credit hours for the Fall semester.
Veterans Affairs (VA) Students Certification – Now Online
Important Reminder: The Request for Certification is now accessible online! This form is required each semester and must be completed in order for your enrollment to be sent to VA for processing. Please select the correct term you wish to be certified for.
The link below is the VA request for certification form. After you click the link, use your Southwest user name and password to login.
Did someone say,
SCHOLARSHIP for VA Students?
We encourage all branches to apply. It is also open to family members. Preference is given to Marines.
Walter K. Singleton U.S.M.C. Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Scholarship or Scholarships is/are available for full tuition/fees for the academic year. Students enrolled full or part-time are eligible to apply. Scholarship(s) is/are renewable for the second academic year, provided scholarship criteria are maintained.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are active duty Marine or active Reserve Marine within the first three years of discharge from service. Immediate family members of active duty Marines and active Reserve Marines are also encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be a resident of Tennessee. Fayette and Shelby county residents will be given preference.
- Full or part-time degree seeking student.
- Applicants must have a 2.5 high school or college GPA. Scholarship is renewable, provided good standing is maintained.
- Financial aid recipients are acceptable.
- Student may be a returning student or entering freshman.
- Applicant must have received a high school diploma or a GED to be eligible.
Submit application to the Southwest Tennessee Community College Financial Aid Office by March 15.
If applicants number less than 10 (ten) then all applications will be forwarded to the Walter K. Singleton U.S.M.C. Memorial Endowed Scholarship Committee for final selection. If applicants number greater than 10 (ten) Southwest Tennessee Community College Scholarship Committee will narrow the field of applicants to 10 (ten), whose applications are forwarded to the Walter K. Singleton U.S.M.C. Memorial Endowed Scholarship Committee for final selection.
If you have any questions, please contact Rose C. Landey, 901-333-4577/901-333-4671
Student Disability Services and Divine Intervention Event
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 9 a.m., SDS and Divine Intervention will offer a professional development opportunity at 4027 Raleigh-Millington Road, located at Higher Heights Ministries.
The professional development will provide best practices to teach self-advocacy skills to students. Students are welcomed to attend
Looking for a part-time job that allows you to use the skills you’ve learned in class that are related to your major? Consider a paid internship!
Learn more here: Paid Intern Program. View available positions here: Intern and Part-time Jobs.
Student Success Workshops
Could you benefit from participating in a student success workshop before the Fall semester begins?
Do you need a Chromebook to help complete your summer course?
TN Promise Students, Complete Your Service Hours!
Do you have all of YOUR community service hours completed and documented to TN Achieves? Your 8 hours of community service are due by July 1, 2019.
To learn more about this community service event, please click here.
As always, Volunteer Memphis has various opportunities to complete community service hours. Click here to access their calendar.