Taking the General Educational Development (GED) Test
If this is your first time taking the GED® test you must:
- be 17 years of age or older and not currently enrolled in high school
- be a resident of Tennessee
- not be currently enrolled in high school nor have a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate.
- Provide a Eligibility to Enroll in Adult Education Form if you are between 17 and 19 years of age. This form is available in the Principal's office of the last high school you attended or at the Board of Education for the last high school you attended. This must be completed prior to testing.
Preparing for the GED®
In the state of Tennessee, individuals are required to attend prep classes before they can take the GED® test.
- The first step for all applicants is to contact an Adult Education Center to sign up for the free GED® prep classes. In Shelby County you may contact the Messick Adult Center at 901-416-4840.
- GED® Preparation classes are offered for free at the Messick Adult Center or you may be interested in the Southwest GED® prep classes through Corporate Training & Continuing Education. The GED® Exam Preparation (opens new window) information can be viewed online or call 901-333-4207 for additional information.
- Students must take the required GED® practice test at the Messick Adult Center and bring the test results to the Southwest Testing Center.