Only Computer Based Testing (CBT) offered (No Paper)
The HiSET® exam includes five subtests that you can schedule to take in any order:
- Language Arts – Reading, 65 minutes (40 multiple choice questions)
- Language Arts – Writing
- Part 1, 75 minutes (50 multiple choice questions)
- Part 2, 45 minutes (1 essay)
- Mathematics, 90 minutes (50 multiple choice questions)
- Science, 80 minutes (50 multiple choice questions)
- Social Studies, 70 minutes (50 multiple choice questions)
Days Offered: Thursdays Only
How much does it cost to take the test in Tennessee?
Battery (all five subtests):
- In Tennessee, the total price for the HiSET exam battery is $75.
- If you only need to take an individual subtest initially, the total price is $20 per test ($15 ETS fee and $5 test center administration fee). The test center administration fee must be paid directly to the test center on the day of testing.
- If you must retake an individual subtest, you will need to pay a $5 test center administration fee. The test center administration fee must be paid directly to the test center on the day of testing.
Official Practice Test (OPT’s) are required prior to testing. Test takers need to contact Messick Adult Center 901-416-4840 or Collierville Literacy Council 901-854-0288 to schedule Official Practice dates before registering for the actual GED 2014 Series test. The completed Practice Test Verification form must be submitted to the Testing Center the day of the exam.
HiSET Testing Requirements/State Eligibility Requirements
To take the HiSET exam in the state of Tennessee, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 18 years of age without a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate to take the HiSET exam. If you are 17 years old you must have an age waiver signed by the Director of Schools before you can test. For information about exceptions to this policy, review the additional policies section below.
- Residency: You do not have to be a resident of Tennessee to take the HiSET exam.
- Practice Test: Tennessee requires all test takers to complete an official HiSET Practice Test. You will be required to show proof of completion prior to testing.
- Identification: You must present identification on test day at the HiSET test center. A valid driver's license, passport, military ID, or other form of government issued (national or foreign) identification that shows name, address, date of birth, signature and photograph are acceptable forms of identification. Outdated or expired identification will not be accepted.
How to Register
Once you are ready to take the test, you can schedule your testing appointment in one of two ways:
- online through your HiSET account https://ereg-ext.ets.org/ereg-csr-web/public/signin
- by calling ETS Customer Service
To reschedule your appointment, you must call an ETS representative 1-855-MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738). Read the policies on rescheduling, canceling or retaking the test included on this page.
You must contact ETS to schedule your appointment if you:
- have a disability or health-related need and require testing accommodation. Contact ETS Disability Services.
- are paying for your exam with a voucher. Contact ETS Customer Service.
If you are scheduling online, you may pay by:
- debit card or credit card (American Express, Discover®, MasterCard, VISA, and JCB)
You will need to bring:
- Acceptable and valid ID as required by Tennessee. Make sure your name on your ID appears EXACTLY as it does on your profile you created in your HiSET account when you scheduled your HiSET exam.
Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs
ETS is committed to serving test takers with disabilities and health-related needs by providing services and reasonable accommodations that are appropriate given the purpose of the test. Accommodations are available for test takers with diagnosed disabilities that include, but are not limited to
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Psychological or psychiatric disorders
- Learning and other cognitive disabilities
- Physical disorders/chronic health disabilities
- Intellectual disabilities
- Hearing and visual impairment
Below is a table outlining some of the most commonly requested and approved accommodations for paper- and computer-delivered tests. You must request these accommodations prior to scheduling your test appointment. This list includes some, but not all, of the accommodations available to you.
|Audiocassette or other form of recorded audio||✓|
|Scribe or keyboard entry aide||✓||✓|
|Additional supervised break time||✓||✓|
|Sign language-interpreted instructions for deaf or hard-of-hearing test takers||✓||✓|
HiSET Items Not Requiring Approval
The items in these lists do not require prior approval. You can bring them or have access to them on test day without making arrangements with ETS.
Items Provided by ETS or Test Center
On the day of your test, your test center will have the following items available to you:
- Large print test book (14-point) and answer sheet
- Scrap paper (to be collected by test center personnel at end of testing session)
- Wheelchair access
Your test center may also be able to provide preferential seating so you can better hear instructions or cut down on distractions.
Items Provided by Test Taker
If you need one of the following items, you must bring it to your test session. Your test center is not required to have it available for you.
- Colored transparent overlays (for paper-delivered testing only).
- Colored scrap paper (to be collected by test center personnel at end of testing session).
- Earplugs (not attached to any electronic device).
- Plain, unmarked straightedge to assist with keeping place while reading. You may use a piece of scrap paper for this purpose, but it must be returned at the end of the testing session.
- Handheld magnifying device (without memory).
- Seat cushion/back pillow, or footstool. Item will be inspected by test center personnel before and after testing.
- Prescription medication. Must be in the prescription bottle with a label indicating your name, dosage and directions.
- Service animals.
- Medical devices (e.g., asthma inhaler, hearing aid, pacemaker, insulin pump on vibrate or silent, oxygen tank, TENS stimulator).
- Highlighter or black felt pen for essays and scratch work only.
Any other form of accommodation or modification not listed above, including a separate room, requires approval. You must make your request before scheduling your appointment.
Requesting Accommodations for Test Day
The HiSET® Test-taker Bulletin contains procedures and forms for requesting testing accommodations.
Note: All test takers requesting any accommodations must register by mail through ETS Disability Services and have their accommodations approved before their test can be scheduled. Your request should be submitted as early as possible, especially if you are requesting an alternate test format. Documentation review takes approximately six weeks once your request and complete paperwork have been received. If additional documentation must be submitted, it can be another six weeks from the time the new documentation is received until the review is complete.
Test takers requesting accommodations cannot schedule an appointment through their HiSET account. Once your accommodations have been approved, you must contact ETS Disability Services to schedule your appointment.
If you have a health-related need that requires you to bring equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room, or to take extra or extended breaks, you must follow the accommodations request procedures in the HiSET® Test-taker Bulletin.
You may need to document your disability before applying for accommodations. See the Disability Documentation Policy Statements. If you have questions about the documentation process, contact ETS HiSET Disability Services.Send all completed requests for testing accommodations to:
ETS HiSET Disability Services
P.O. Box 6054
Princeton, NJ 08541-6054
Test Preparation Materials in Accessible Formats
In addition to the screen reader-accessible preparation materials available for download, we also offer materials in other accessible formats. To order preparation materials that cannot be downloaded (such as braille, recorded audio or hard copy large print) or if you require materials in a format not listed here, contact ETS Disability Services Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time, using the contact information below.
Contacting ETS HiSET Disability Services
Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time
- Phone: 1-609-359-5615 or 1-855-802-2748 (toll-free)
- Email: HiSETSSD@ets.org
- Fax: 1-609-240-0525
Mail:ETS HiSET Disability Services
P.O. Box 6054
Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6054 USA
Courier Service:ETS HiSET Disability Services
225 Phillips Blvd.
Ewing, NJ 08618-1426 USA
Calculators are provided by test centers. You may not bring your own calculator to the test center.
Cell phones, smartphones (e.g., BlackBerry® or iPhone® devices, etc.), PDAs and/or any other electronic, photographic, scanning, recording or listening devices are not permitted at the test center at all. See What to Bring for a list of additional items not permitted in the testing session.