International Student Checklist

Are you a citizen of another country who would like to attend Southwest Tennessee Community College? Follow the checklist below to become an international Saluqi.

Most required documents can be uploaded to the Admissions Documents/Forms Upload page. Use your My.Southwest student portal login or create an account to upload documents. Transcripts loaded here will not be considered official. Official college transcripts must come directly from the institution.

Special Note: Prospective international students requesting a Form I-20 — Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status — to apply for an F-1 Visa must satisfy all admission requirements before an I-20 will be issued (this includes students transferring from another institution).

Apply Online

When you complete the online application, you will be required to pay a $30 fee. If you wish to pay the fee offline, click here to see Payment Options.

  1. Click on My.Southwest (located in the top nav bar of every Southwest webpage).
  2. In the Secure Access Login box, choose “First Time Users.”
  3. Enter the correct information in the boxes.
  4. Your username will appear, example: “jsmith” or “jsmith2”
  5. To set up your Southwest Student Account, follow the directions and create a password. Keep your password in a secure location.
  6. To access your student account, repeat step 1 and enter your username and password to log in.

If you need technical help, call the Help Desk at 901-333-4357 (HELP).

Submit official high school transcript or high school equivalency (GED/HiSet) test scores. If you have earned a college degree you do not have to submit the high school transcript.

If you have college credits from a foreign institution that you wish to be considered for transfer to Southwest, submit an official college transcript.

NoteAll foreign transcripts, including high school and college, must be translated into English and evaluated for U.S. equivalent. We will accept official high school and college transcripts from any foreign credential evaluator found at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). It is your responsibility as the student to contact the evaluation service. For college transcripts, you should request a course-by-course evaluation. Please be aware that these evaluators will charge you fees for these services.

  • Submit the Immunization Health History Form. See details at Immunizations Required Under Tennessee State Law.
  • Submit immunization proof of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) and varicella (chickenpox)
  • TB Tine Certification of Freedom from Tuberculosis. All international non-immigrant students applying for admission pursuant to a student visa must submit within 30 days from the first day of classes a certificate from a licensed physician or other qualified medical authority verifying the student does not have tuberculosis.
  • Southwest Tennessee Community College requires international students to purchase health insurance and provide proof of insurance each semester. Students may select their own insurance provider, or they may opt to use the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) Health Insurance Plan. Details and other plan materials can be found at International Student Protection. Locate your school name on the dropdown list. If you have questions about medical benefits or claims, please call Relation Insurance Services at 1-888-388-0931.

Applicants who are younger than 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the required immunization health history form. The completed form can be uploaded here. For further details regarding immunization requirements, please visit

For placement purposes, new freshmen are encouraged to submit official ACT or SAT scores for tests taken within the last five years. Scores can be uploaded here or emailed to your Southwest enrollment specialist.

Effective as of summer 2020: If test scores are not available, the high school GPA will be used for course placement. Students without test scores, or whose scores or GPA are more than five years old will need to schedule the AccuPlacer exam through Testing.

If your country’s native language is not English, you must submit proof of English proficiency in one of the following ways:

  • Submit TOEFL iBT score of at least 61. The Southwest college code is 1751. Visit the TOEFL website (opens new window) to schedule a test; or
  • Submit IELTS score of at least 6; or
  • Submit PTE score of at least 50; or
  • Submit proof of successful completion of an ESL (English as a Second Language) program.

If there is no supporting academic credit from another USA institution, international student applicants must take an English placement examination prior to registration.

  • Copy of your passport and/or visa
  • Copy of Form I-94, Request Travel History and Check Travel Compliance (For more details, visit the Department of Homeland Security, I-94 website.)
  • Proof of financial support. Complete the International Student Financial Support Form and submit, along with your bank statement as indicated on the form. Funding from a banking institution must show a closing balance in U.S. dollars. Recommended financial support for each academic year is $32,610 USD. Costs may be greater due to inflation and other cost increases.

Note: After receiving your Form I-20, be sure to pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee, if not already paid. Please send your I-901 payment confirmation to

All new students are required to complete new student orientation

All new international students must attend the International Student Orientation, Testing and Advising sessions.

Academic advising is required for all new students before being allowed to register. Advising and registration for international students may take place during the International Student Orientation, Testing and Advising sessions.

Once you have talked to your academic advisor, you are ready to register for classes. F-1 students must be in programs of study that award associate degrees. F-1 students are allowed to enroll in only three-hours of online courses per semester. If you enroll in more than three online hours you will be out of status and your Visa will be in jeopardy of being terminated.

To register, log onto the My.Southwest student portal and select Registration/Online Services.

Online Registration Guide

Students needing disability assistance should visit the Center for Access webpage.

Contact your financial aid specialist and/or click here to see other Payment Options.

Once you have finalized registration, secure your Southwest Student Identification (ID) Card in Student Development.

Obtain a required Parking Hang Tag from the office of Police Services/Public Safety.

Print a "Student Detail Schedule" from your My.Southwest student account and take it to the bookstore or purchase books online at eFollett.

The "Student Detail Schedule" contains the time and location for each of your classes. For more help, view How to Read the Schedule. Students are expected to attend all classes. 

F-1 students are required to be enrolled as full-time (at least 12 credit hours) at all times. Failure to enroll as full-time will result in you being out of status and your Visa in jeopardy of being terminated.

Questions? Call International Student Affairs at 901-333-5924.

Last updated: October 6, 2020